Hey everyone!
I'm in Kampala for the day so I finally have a chance to update this thing!
Okay, I'll start with MY JOB! So in one month I will be done with training, an official volunteer and on my way to Ateso land in the eastern part of the country. Yes, I'm learning Ateso…the only non-bantu language in Uganda. The languages similar to it are Turkish and Russian….which means I need to start studying! I'm working with St. Charles Borromeo Community Development Initiative. They have a primary school, an orphanage (130 students live there), and a life skills center for young girls. Over 900 students and only 20 teachers…my thoughts exactly. So I will be living on the school grounds with the teachers, working with the students. Essentially, I will be a health teacher…I think. So I'm already thinking of some creative ways to teach about hiv/aids, hygiene, and sanitation to the kids. I think this is going to be great…I'm going to be with about 1,000 kids a day, literally. Wow. Oh, and my counterpart said I am also doing community outreach…OH, and it's a catholic org. (which I'm totally excited for) and he said I could potentially do religious counseling/guidance as well. Awesome! I have a future site visit in 2 weeks, so I'll get to see the place and meet everyone. I know I have electricity, but no water…and a pit latrine. Oh well.
So, training. Looooong days, some are good, some not so good. It's from 8-5 everyday. We usually end up getting a beer after it, but we've started doing other things as well, like yoga. There are a few people I already can't live without here, they're great, and we make the best of it.
My host family is awesome. It's a mom and 6 kids, the oldest is 18, then we have a 4 week old baby. My mom is always worrying about me and won't be happy until I eat 20 pounds of food a night, which is never going to happen, but she still tries every night. The other night I made my oldest sister go to the latrine with me, by latrine I mean hole in the ground. We have a slight problem with rats. They are everywhere, I have a stand off with one just about every other day. My mom laughs at me and says, ahh you are fearing, but you must get used to them. No, I can get used to a hole for the bathroom and lots of cockroaches, but I refuse to get used to rats. That's where I draw the line!
I miss everyone bunches…and food…and a toilet. But it's good here, I think I'll have my work cut out for me. By mailing address will change in a month, but I expect some mail from some of you!
OH and my sister is coming to visit in July!!!!! I'm sooo excited. That will be amazing.
Love you all, or in ateso, amino eong ijo kere.
Awanyunos bobo! I will see you again.
Oh, and this is how to say I am a community health worker in ateso: essisiankini eong itunga luk'atutubet aijar najokan kede aila kede itunga nuikamunitos esilim. you're jealous, i know.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
oh, and ateso land is kumi for me, which is by soroti
Make sure that you leave that change of address for everyone. I love you Sarah and know you are going to be wonderful in all of your endeavors. Miss you!
mmm I still dominate....and miss you like madddddd
sarah! its yas az bij and deb and moh! haha we miss you so much and i jsut spent my whole time ready your whole page =] we were just in dayton last weekend and it was fun but i miss you alot and hope you are having fun!
Post a Comment